Thursday, October 19, 2006

My thanks to M for finding out what Dr. Holland meant by "boggy" and writing in. Whatever Dr. Holland meant by the umbilical cord being "too boggy," it's always been clear that the reason she failed to extract cord blood after my c-section is that she forgot. It's difficult to say, of course, whether she willfully forgot because she had so little regard for me, her patient, or whether she forgot because she was in such a state of agitation and anger. (There were other oversights: she also forgot to introduce me to her partners as promised at our first meeting, forgot that I didn't want to be induced after my contractions started, forgot that she never came to see me in recovery after the c-section, and the day after, forgot to return for a follow-up checkup after saying, "I'll be back later." And she forgot--or chose not to--stitch a double layer, as I requested, jeopardizing any future VBAC.)

My complaint against her to the NYS Office of Professional Medical Conduct is still in progress. The investigator, John Lanza, originally interviewed me in February and said the investigation would take about six months. So I rang him at the beginning of October for an update, and he said that the investigation is still in progress.

5 Comments:

Blogger ~M said...

About not being able to VBAC with a single layer, Of course you can! You can do it at home too, even in NYC!

Try contacting your local ICAN group! I know someone in NYC who had a VBA3C at home!

9:25 PM  
Blogger SBG said...

I also had a horrible birth experience at St. Lukes- Roosevelt in NYC
(59th and 10th) in August 2006. They almost killed me. I say that in all seriousness. I was scared into my c-section and everything went downhill from there. So trust me I understand.

10:07 PM  
Blogger SBG said...

I just realzed we used the same practice. I never met Dr. Holland. My OBGYN merged practices in the middle of my visits. Another Dr. that you mentioned was the one that ended up delivering my baby (whom I met for the first time the day my baby was born). It sounds to me like they have disappointed alot of people. I am sorry you had to go through such a horrific ordeal. I too have been diagnosed with PTSD.

4:42 PM  
Blogger ~M said...

SBG- I'd be curious to know who that doctor was. Was it Dr. Patrick? Dr. Holland?

You can e-mail me at
icanofnyc@gmail.com

8:22 AM  
Blogger anne said...

Dr. Claudia Holland saved my son's life by performing an emergency c-section. She is a wonderful doctor; I have been her patient for twenty years. She is intelligent, warm, funny and honest.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home